Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Celebrating tonight!!

I officially passed my Maritime Radio Operators course tonight! Woohoo !  I was flitting around here like a nervous little jenny wren all day trying to cram as much studying in during nap times as I possibly could.  I'm happy to say it payed off.  It feels so good to have that under my belt and to feel like I could truly handle a distress situation (technically) if it were to occur.  It is amazing, it feels like it is a whole different world out there on the water.  So much to learn and experience.  It is both daunting and exhilerating all in the same breath.  The type A side of me wants to know all that needs to be known, to have it all perfected. Then the other part of me wants to embrace the idea of a lifetime of learning, of never truly knowing 'it all', letting go of the need to control my environment and to release myself into the experience of it all.  It reminds me of falling in love with diving, in the beginning you're so concerned with the technical aspect of it all, but then once you are immersed into the beauty of the sea it consumes you.  You are no longer a separate being, but a part of this immense living being with millions of enchantingly intricate webs, which in the end connect us all.

Lately I feel like a sout piel (I am loosely using  this Afrikaans slang word ) which is (my interpretation) when you have each foot firmly planted in a different land mass and your whoo haa dangling in the water.  We are steadily working away on our to do list, one for the boat the other for the house. Somehow though, you just feel spread way too thin..... streeeeeetching with each foot firmly planted in different places.  Making you feel pretty vunerable though with your do dads dipping in that cold water. I just want to slide my feet together, create a new little island to stand on (warm those bad boys up) and live conciously in ONE place, so I can fully appreciate it for all it has to offer.  I do feel so grateful for the beautiful house we live in and all the wonderful comforts it provides, but I do feel a bit anxious to move onto the next page.
We have a wonderful friend who sailed around the world with his wife  and has been lending us his videos of all his travels to keep us inspired.  We're like a bunch of junkies, every night we get our dinner and tune into our 'next adventure' , it's wonderful.  I do look forward to though when we are no longer living vicariously and are filming our own story. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a fantasy land between all these videos and the many many blogs I follow of sailing families.  It all seems so real, and so doable.  I so look forward to taking that final step of moving on the boat and focusing our energy there.
Gordon is working steadily on the fridge, he's taken some pics I just haven't gotten a hold of them yet.  So we'll have some project pics up soon for you guys.  He's definitely done a custom job on it and I think it's going to turn out beautiful. It amazes we what he can create, not only does he have a brilliant mind but he's not to shabby of a carpenter either ;)
Well now that I've got this course under my belt, I can focus again on streamlining the house and organizing as much as possible.  One of these days a renter is going to work out!  For now I'll just enjoy my celebratory glass of wine :)

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I didn't even know you could get a certification for that. Now I've got to look into to too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Legally you have to have it in Canada in order to operate the radio ($$$ large fine if you don't). I'm not sure what is mandatory in the States though.

    ReplyDelete