Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Finally Aboard And Making It Home

Well it seems unbelievable that we have actually been living on the boat now for 9 days!  This past month has been a whirlwind of projects between wrapping up projects in the house (and everything breaking last minute - fridge, faucets....) and prepping the boat for us to live aboard.  I feel like I've been in a daze this past week, decompressing and adjusting all at the same time.  Luckily, other than trying to find places for the many many bags of belongings we brought down, it has been pretty seamless.
The first night down, I see it as my "Initiation night".  One of our classic Pacific Northwest storms was rolling through, it packed a bit of a punch though with winds up to 90kmph and sustained high winds ALL night long.  After a long day of packing and cleaning, I couldn't wait to just lie down and pass out, unfortunately  Mother Nature had other plans for me.  The boat was rocking and rolling all night long.  The winds would press the boat on its side and then drop, the fenders constantly squeaked as they protested taking on the weight of the boat as it forced itself over and over onto our neighbors boat.  I thought maybe after a bit it would quiet down, but no such luck, this baby was gonna go all night long!  The boys on the other hand slept like a rock.  G did wake up at one point, I watched him silently waiting to see what he was checking....he got closer and closer.  "Are you awake?"  Yesss....  "Oh good, your were freaking me out for a second, I thought you were sleeping with your eyes open!"  I wish I could have kept my eye on things as I slept, I guess that's a skill I will acquire as I become an old salt.  Needless to say, it was a difficult  putting in a full day of cleaning and packing at the house on zero sleep.  Emotions were labile to say the least.  Breaking down Logan's crib and packing away his room did make me stop for a minute. With a tear in my eye, my heart hoping we were making the right decision for him and us as a family.   At that moment it all finally seemed real.  Previously I had just been going from one task to the next, crossing things off the to-do list.  But now as I saw my little boys life as he new it was about to change, and I had to believe in what my heart has been saying all along, it is going to be a wonderful adventure.

Logan has taken on his new life with gusto, his first night as he quickly scrambled up the steps up into his room, he turned around with a huge grin and shouted "WOW"!  It is  my little mountain goats heaven as he can reach everything.  We are slowly learning what we can and cannot climb on or touch.  He's also learned how to let himself out of his crib, it at least keeps him from rolling out of bed while sleeping.  Guess we're moving to the concept of a toddler bed whether we like it or not!  He loves all the walks we go on now.  He has his little loop down pat, kissing all his favorite wood carvings as we go along.  Mastering the stairs as we go up and down and up and down over and over again.  He has been such a little trooper, never skipping a beat and embracing each moment, each new experience with grace and excitement.  He definitely could teach me a thing or two!

The stove is working beautifully and so is the fridge. I feel so lucky to have hot water as well.  It does amaze me though how much water we go through.  I think we emptied our tanks after a day and a half (and I thought I was being conservative!) and used much more drinking water than I thought we would too.  I have lots to learn, but am enjoying the process.

Here is a peek into our first week:
Logan's room in v-berth
My caveman lighting his first fire on the stove!

Celebrating our first dinner

SUPER MOON

Checking in with Eagleman on our evening walk

Loves brushing his teeth now that he can stare at himself and make funny faces in the mirror.  Crazy hair = shinier teeth

Parking lot puddles create hours of entertainment

Checking out the beach, honing his goaty abilities... those logs are slippery when wet.

4 comments:

  1. Iam SO excited for your family! This post came at a much needed time. We are looking at the workload and seriously thinking we shall have to push back our departure. I was absolutely in tears, then I saw your post. I am reminded that no refit goes according to plan, scheduled were meant to be broken but yes, you Will eventually meet your goal. The key word is eventually!
    Love the little Logan Duck photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the to-do list can become quite daunting. But it all does come together eventually. We still have lots to do, but it is amazing what can come together when push comes to shove. I'm sure all your projects will come together too, always seems slower than you hope for though. It's so hard when there is so much anticipation behind the completion of each one. It makes any set back that much harder to handle. But I keep reminding myself, it is a lifestyle change, not a weekend jaunt we're on. It's all going to take some time. I just have to trust it is all happening as it should.
    Thanks for always following, and commenting. It's nice to know there is someone out there "listening' . Especially since you're experiencing the same things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Tjabo and I are really looking forward to sailing around with you guys this summer!! Can't wait to hear more about all this tomorrow night over pizza...
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. What amazing photos! I'm so proud. Those first few weeks were rough for us so be kind and patient and you'll make it through!

    Can't wait to follow your adventure!

    ReplyDelete