Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

A New Path

We are a family of 3, my husband Gordon, my son Logan (1yr) , and I, currently living on Vancouver Island.  We're starting this blog in hopes of documenting our journey as we explore life aboard.  We hope to be living aboard our Ohlson 41 sailboat (custom sloop, built by Bristol Yachts in 1968, designed by Einar Ohlson)  on a trial basis this upcoming week (keeping our fingers crossed that projects go according to plan~ we all know how that works on boats ;) for at least the next month to give it a fair shot.  Many hours have been poured into the boat and into researching this lifestyle.  The more I read the more I long for the simplicity and the deep connection with nature (until winter time of course ~ already a fair weather sailor!). To shed all that does not serve me, or enhance my life and focus fully on the things that bring me happiness and promote growth. I feel this lifestyle resonates deeply with both my husband and I and also will provide our son with a life filled with amazing experiences and strong core values.

I plan to write frankly of all the highs and lows so we can fairly evaluate this experience as we decide if this is the life for us.  Deep in my heart I feel as though it is, but so many things need to happen if this is the life we choose, so we need to take just one step at a time.  So many things have lead us to this point in our lives, I am so grateful we have been able to shed light on our true desires and have the courage to follow our hearts.

I also hope to share with others, as over the past year I have learned so much and lived vicariously through  so many other bloggers out there.

4 comments:

  1. Your boat is BEAUTIFUL. It looks so much like ours that I had to search around to find out what it was. Can't wait to hear more about your experiment, we've been aboard with our 2 kids for 2 months now and its dreamlike. Now off to look up the specs on your Ohlson 41. FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Would love to hear about your adventures as well, how old are your kids and where are you located? I'm so glad you're having such a wonderful experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lara,
    We are Victoria, Tucker, Ruby (6), and Miles (almost 3). Victoria has commented on another post on your blog and is onandon on several forums (including thekeel, where we both found you).

    Our sites are http://forgeover.com and http://svconvivia.com.
    We are located in Emeryville, CA (near San Francisco). Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lara, always love finding another liveaboard family (thanks Charlotte & her FB thread on kid cabins)! We started up in the Salish Sea but are down in Sydney now. Looking forward to following your adventures...

    ReplyDelete