Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

Winter Blessing

This holiday season I started off a bit bah humbug I must admit.  Being away from all our friends and family and the few people we did know here were going to be away for the holidays..... and then I remembered what a stranger said to me one time in regards to the holidays when I said I wasn't "into" a certain holiday.  He looked straight at Logan, gave me a big smile and said "You are now!"  So I decided I had to put my big girl britches on and create some memories for my little boy.  Really it was the perfect opportunity to start our own family traditions as I have longed to do for quite some time now.  I never could've imagined it would have turned out so perfect!
Nothing says Christmas like a pair of Yoda ears, and making gingerbread cookies for Santa!
Santa was a hit, they even forgot to open some of their presents they were so excited. 
Logi and I were going for a walk one afternoon and one the residents at the RV Park that is attached to the marina offered to come over for a "Santa Visit"  It turns out he even had a Santa business card and showed up at our neighbors (who lives in a floating home across the way) and created some absolutely precious memories for our two boys.



Logi scouted out our first Solstice Stick
And then a sprig of holly.


My happy little pirate on his first treasure hunt.



Getting to the treasure was half the adventure!  

Our first Solstice Stick (pre-glitter)!!

All our glittery bits, plus some homemade Apple Butter (so yummy!) 

I do love celebrating solstice, so I thought since we can't fit a tree, or even a yule log on the boat I decided a stick would do.  I also remembered back to our own family traditions and always loved getting together with all the girls and making wreaths over the holidays.  I would get my fix of the beautiful smell of pine, and recreate some old traditions to boot!  I wrapped the stick with all the treasures Logan had found on our adventure, and then added little papers with all the things we were grateful for this year and a little glitter.....and whala a tradition has been born.  Not only is it something to decorate the boat with for the holidays, it creates a time for us to do something outdoors and celebrate the gifts and beauty of nature together.  We both loved the adventure of it all, and though he wasn't to into the glitter this year (surprisingly)  he loved looking at his creation pointing out everyday, each of the special treasures he had found!

With decorations up and our spirits lifted we ended up hosting both a Winter Solstice party AND a Christmas party.  It felt wonderful to have the boat cozy and festive, filled with friends, old and new!  Our Winter Solstice party made way for a very heartfelt and serendipitous reunion of unexpected friends, and Christmas dinner was a pure miracle.  We had celebrated Christmas a day early because Gordon had to work on Christmas day.  I was busy prepping foods, playing with Logi and getting ready for a evening party and had planned but somehow forgot to go to the grocery store..... this little fact hit me like a rock at 8:30 pm on our way home from a party!!!  My little "uh-oh" turned into full blown panic when I realized ALL the grocery stores in town were closed until Boxing Day!  Luckily one of Gord's workmates new of an Asian market that was open and called me at 11:00 on Christmas day to inform me of this wonderful news (I was cooking a Gluten/Dairy free, Vegan dinner for 7) so I was overwhelmingly relieved as I sped off to the store.  Dinner was a hit and just as we were cleaning up the water tanks ran dry... no biggie we can refill those easily enough.  But then, just as I was checking on the pumpkin pies.....the propane ran out!  Amazingly enough they were actually done and we all enjoyed our ENTIRE Christmas dinner.  Someone was definitely looking after me that day, I didn't even burn anything, which as many of you that know me know that that is a miracle in itself.  So as I sit here and reflect, I truly can count my many winter blessings!

My beautiful family

Amazing (and ingenious ~ why didn't I think of this trick!)  friends

Happy little boy

and One Happy Hubby xo

Happy Holidays everyone!  I'd love to hear of some of your holiday traditions or special moments!


No comments:

Post a Comment